Thursday, February 10, 2005

That's another fine mess you've got us into...

Sorry. I just can't help myself.

This time my fascination with Noro yarns will prove my downfall. Oh, in times past I could be happy with a couple of skeins of Kureyon and a scarf pattern, or something felted... but no more. Now I really need a mountainous stash of the stuff -- and a winning Megabucks ticket probably wouldn't hurt.

I blame Jane Ellison. I happened into The Yarn Sellar in York on my way home yesterday from the computer shop (where I bought more RAM for the laptop and received much adoring attention from the two resident chocolate Labs). There I was in the yarn shop, admiring all of the lovely yarns and the enchanting shop samples...

And Then I Saw It.

The shop had a sample of the Fletcher Sweater from Jane Ellison's book Simply Noro, knit in that stunning flame-colored colorway #6 of Noro Iro. I fell in Serious Knitter Lust. (Yes, I'm capitalizing. It's not polite to shout.)

I must make that sweater, I tell you. Its construction is simple enough that even a novice knitter like me can make it, and the directions are equally straightforward. This project was Meant to Be. At $20 a skein and with the pattern calling for 11 skeins, this sweater should more properly be entitled "investment" rather than mere "clothing." I'm in love, though, and love is madness -- so much so that I'm willing to spend the endless hours, trolling for sale prices on eBay, whispering "Fletcher, must knit Fletcher" under my breath.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have also succumbed to Noro madness and bought the yarn to make Fletcher. Have you started it yet?

Anonymous said...

I am contemplating whether to try the Fletcher. I'm a novice knitter, but my knitting teacher is convinced that it isn't do challenging? What is your opinion? I also read on another blog that the sizing runs large. What's your experience? How long to you imagine it may take from start to finish?

blogdog said...

Hi! I hope you come back to read this comment, since you signed on as Anonymous.

Anyway, your knitting teacher is right -- the Fletcher really isn't too challenging for a novice knitter. It was my first sweater, and it came out pretty well. The only thing I didn't know how to do when I started was picking up the stitches for the hood, and even that wasn't too hard.

The sizing is very, very generous. I made a size large that came out huge. I like things on the baggy side anyway, but if you were hoping for a "sweater" fit instead of a "jacket" fit, you might want to size down. The silk/wool blend yarn is very stretchy, so don't hang your finished product or it will get even bigger on you!

How long did it take? That's hard for me to say. It took me about a month of hour-here-hour-there knitting. It should take you much less time if you devote time to it. Good luck, and let me know how you do!