Tuesday, October 18, 2011

I Can't Stop! I Can't Stop!

I can't stop knitting these felted dog toys! Here I've finished 8, and #9 is on the needles already.

It all started with the kit from Bully Woolies, which I picked up at a local yarn shop's going-out-of-business sale. (Rest in peace, The Stitching Mantis. We all miss you.) I opened the kit, realized that the yarn inside was my very favorite felting yarn (Lamb's Pride), and went to work.

These are knitted in halves on size 10 ½ DPNs; you knit the first half from middle to top, pick up stitches for the botton half, and leave a giant buttonhole in the bottom half as you knit. Everything shrinks a bit when you felt it, but you can still get the squeaker and stuffing inside. Stitch it closed and voila!

The original toys made from the kit are the orange-and-green one and the fuchsia-and-blue one. The rest come from leftover yarn in my stash. I bought bags of squeakers on eBay. If you're looking for a quick charity knitting project or a fundraiser, need to whittle down your stash or get rid of some leftovers, or even just like the idea of making your own dog toys for just pennies using leftover yarn from other projects... well, here's a project for you. Bully Woolies has kits for other felted toys, including cat toys, on its website — or ask your friend Google to help you find some free designs.

Once I've made even a small dent in my Lamb's Pride stash, I'm planning to try the pattern with other good felting yarns, such as Cascade 200 and Kureyon. I knew I'd saved all those leftovers for something! Watch for the next batch to appear on this blog once they're done.

3 comments:

tubby3pug said...

Thanks for this information. I am a new knitter and would love to make more toys for my dogs and cats, I will definitely check these kits out

Elizabeth Seda said...

Super cool! I'm a knitter and I'm also obsessed with dog toys and I write about it on Indestructible Dog Toys.
I've always thought of knitting dog toys. I knit dog sweaters but I didn't think the dog toys would be durable enough. I'm definitely going to try that. I wish I could submit images of the pups with their Christmas sweaters!

David Meek said...

Good job on those hand made toys. Wish I had the same talent but sad to say I don't and am glad there are other options for me to get toys for my pets.